Real Techniques Starter Set | Review

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you're quite likely to have picked up on my love for the Real Techniques Core Collection brush set (which I wrote a post on here) So, when the time came that my long-standing Boots brushes now stood on their last legs, I jumped at the opportunity to purchase another set in the line to replace them: the Real Techniques Starter Set.


The Starter Set consists of five metallic eye brushes, all suitably designed for their many different purposes. All brushes are of similarly remarkable quality, each kitted out with soft bristles to quite literally be easy on the eyes. But what possibly completes the set is the black carry case, perfect for carting around your many brushes when travelling whilst keeping them padded and protected in the meantime. The case also folds into a stand which could either be used for displaying these gorgeous brushes or simply for propping them up during makeup application. 


The first brush in the kit is the Deluxe Crease Brush with a "soft, over side design for effortless contouring." If I'm honest, I've never actually used this brush for contouring in the crease of my eyelid; I take advantage of its large surface area and instead use it as a base shadow brush as it easily picks up a tonne of pigmentation and scatters it across your eyelid in one swift sweep. 


This is the Base Shadow Brush of the set but I tend to favour the Deluxe Crease Brush over this due to its slightly bulkier size, meaning that colour can be packed on with no difficulty. However, on the rare occasions that I have actually used this as a base brush, I definitely do agree with the statement that it "applied a smooth, flawless foundation of colour." 


Next up is another brush that I use less frequently: the Accent Brush. It's got nothing to do with the brush itself- it is, of course, wonderful quality etc- it's more to do with me rarely having a use for it. Due to its very intricate and short bristles, this brush is designed for precision, something I don't really incorporate into a day-to-day eye look. However, the few times I have used this brush to inject a pop of colour just below my waterline, I've been more than impressed with its accuracy and colour payoff. 


We then have the Fine Liner Brush, which is undoubtedly one of my favourite members of the set. This thin nibbed brush is the ultimate tool for tackling intricate eyeliner details as precisely as can be. Although I don't wear liquid, cream or gel eyeliner on a daily basis, whenever I do, this is the tool I'd always head straight to. 


The final brush in the set is the Brow Brush. Before purchasing this set, brows were something I'd never really bothered with before. Despite them being my worst nemesis, I always let them be and hoped that people wouldn't notice just how unruley they were. However, this brush is the ultimate starting point for whipping your brows back into shape. Its slanted bristles are the perfect width for most eyebrow shapes, making it wonderfully easy to pack on colour and regain both definition and animation back into your brows. 

As you can probably tell, I'm head over heels for this set. But do you feel the same? If you've tried these brushes, let me know how you got on with them in the comments below. 

Lucy x 

Comments

  1. I adore them as well, although my favourite is the accent brush! I barely use the fine liner brush but all the others are used frequently!

    Debbi x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment