Makeup Removers | Tried and Tested


As a self-confessed beauty fanatic, I do spend a huge proportion of my time wearing makeup. However, when it comes to bedtime, I always ensure that of have removed my makeup beforehand so as to allow my skin to obtain some fresh air overnight. As any of you other beauty (and skincare) obsessors are likely to be aware, there are tonnes of different methods which can be used when removing makeup. So, today I thought I'd share with you the makeup removers I've tried and tested and my opinions of them. 

Garnier Micellar Water, £4.99

A product which burst onto the beauty scene earlier this year and caused a buzz amongst the blogging community is of course Garnier's Micellar Water. For any of you who aren't aware of what on earth 'micellar water' is, it is essentially a waterbased remover which works by removing impurities (including make up) from your skin, leaving it purified and toned. Although it does essentially dissolve your makeup into oblivion, the product is in no way corrosive and leaves your skin feeling cleansed and refreshed. The process is also easy as can be; simply tip a small amount onto a cotton pad and glide over the skin- no frustrating rubbing needed! The great thing about the Garnier Micellar Water is the number of uses you can squeeze out of it. Originally when I saw the claim of it producing 200 uses, I was in a state of disbelief, but having not had to replace a bottle since purchasing this all the way back in June, I can certainly vouch for the fact that this bottle provides a seemingly infinite supply! 


Formula Skincare Gentle Eye Makeup Remover, (no longer available)

Another product with a similar formulation to micellar water is the Formula Skincare Gentle Eye Makeup Remover. This is an incredibly delicate product, which works perfectly well without the addition of pesky parabens, fragrance and colour, meaning that it is perfectly suited for sensitive skin types. It also has a somewhat cooling effect on the skin, leaving it feeling refreshed and replenished, which, let's face it, is exactly what you require at the end of the day. Although this product is specifically for eyes, I have found it to be just as good at ridding your skin of face makeup, such as foundation, too. One quick point I should mention is that this isn't the best at removing waterproof products- a lot of scrubbing would be required to sort that out! However, if you're a non-waterproof mascara kinda gal, this works pretty reasonably! 


Boots Essentials Cucumber Cleansing Wipes, £1.50

A method I'm slightly less fond of when it comes to makeup removal is the utilisation of makeup wipes. However, when it comes to travelling, these perfect for slipping into your bag (or hand luggage) due to their light weight and compact shape. In the case that I do use makeup wipes (which I must admit is pretty rarely nowadays), I tend to opt for the Boots Essentials Cucumber Cleansing Wipes. These are extremely budget-friendly as they're often on fantastic in-store deals and provide a pretty decent service for the price. 


Boots Essentials Eye Makeup Removal Pads, £1.50

Another makeup removal product I tend to use less frequently than others is the Boots Essentials Eye Makeup Removal Pads. Although these do a pretty decent job of producing a squeaky clean face, they can leave a slightly greasy residue on the skin. However, this slight problem can easily be solved by quickly swiping once over with a makeup wipe or warm flannel. These pads are in a miniature round pot, perfect for slotting in your handbag to overcome any makeup malfunctions you may encounter during the day. 


Nivea Double Effect Eye Makeup Remover, £3.59

The final product I have to share with you is possibly one of my favourite eye makeup removers to date. The Nivea Double Effect Eye Makeup Remover, as the name suggests, is a product of two phases: one oily and the other aqueous, which when shaken up provide the perfect partnership for the removal of even the strongest waterproof eye makeup. The oil acts as the main remover, dissolving away any eyeliner or mascara clinging to your lashes. It is then followed by the aqueous phase, which essentially nourishes the eyelashes to prevent them from becoming brittle. Although this is potentially my favourite product for makeup removal, I have encountered a slight issue in that it does leave a slightly greasy residue around the eyes. Therefore, I tend to follow it up with a swipe of micellar water to leave my skin oil-free.

So, that's it for today's post- I hope you enjoyed it! Let me know in the comments below what your favourite makeup removal methods are! 

Lucy x 

Comments