What's so wrong with loving makeup?


A topic I've noticed has been up for debate recently is the impact of beauty vloggers (and bloggers) on young girls. Whilst some argue that squeaky, clean internet girls are the perfect role models for the next generation, others claim that beauty fanatics are simply luring young people into a sense of falsehood by encouraging them to be very much reliant on products to make them society's idea of 'beautiful'. As a beauty blogger myself, this debate has been pretty hard to get my head around. Makeup has always been a passion of mine and I've never really felt as though I must cake my face in my makeup purely to fit in with those around me. However, I'm aware that, with the consistent (and increasingly powerful) uprising of beauty bloggers and vloggers- who are now even considered celebrities- the pressure on teens to tailor themselves to society's expectations if becoming a predominantly large problem. 

Recently, I've spotted tonnes of criticism flying around, accusing young girls of wearing makeup purely to impress boys. I know for a fact that in the vast majority of cases these allegations are entirely untrue. May I just start by clarifying that most people I know wear makeup for themselves. They choose to wear makeup purely because it improves their confidence, regardless of the effects it may have on how other people view them. Similarly for myself, makeup is not to conceal imperfections or flaws; it's simply a means of boosting my self esteem to levels I could never have deemed possible otherwise. It is a way of enhancing, not only the features of my face, but my happiness in the way I appear. 

Yet, still people are accusing makeup fanatics of being vain, self-centred and a terrible influence upon the upcoming generation. Articles regarding the negative impact of beauty vloggers and bloggers have also been popping up in the press. Some claim that internet beauty sensations are a complete contradiction to what they stand for; teaching girls that they should love who they are yet still encouraging them to love makeup. I personally found this perception extremely harsh. Yes, beauty vloggers/bloggers do tutor their viewers on all things beauty or advise them on the next best buy, but in no way to they force their audience to conform to these suggestions. In fact, most beauty bloggers I'm aware of upload beauty-related posts or videos because it is their passion, not some awful regulation they're enforcing upon us, and I believe that it is extremely unfair for others to misinterpret and stereotype people in this way. 

So, as this post draws to an end, I ask you now: What's so wrong with loving makeup? And what's so wrong with sharing this passion amongst others? 

Feel free to share your opinions below- I'm interested to discover what other people have to say about this. Thank you for reading.

Lucy x 

Comments