What's In My Travel Makeup Bag?



This past weekend I journeyed to the historical city of Exeter, which I absolutely adored. The ambience of the city itself was humble and calm, and its proximity to the seaside made it the perfect getaway. Although we only stayed for one night, I managed to pack quite a hefty bag of products and thought I'd share with you my essentials for the trip- I hope that you enjoy! 




I decided to opt for this gorgeous rose bag which I bought from a sweet little independent shop in Dorset last year. It is surprisingly roomy, so I managed to stuff it with plenty of cosmetic goodies, which was good for my face but not so good for my suitcase, which ended up weighing a tonne...oops! 


For my foundation, I decided to take two options which offered a variety of coverage, dependent on whatever tickled my skin's fancy on the day! Being predictable, I of course popped my Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation into my bag, as this provides a light 'your skin but better' effect. Although my skin behaves itself most of the time, spots and/or redness can be pretty unpredictable, so I opted for the Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Nude Foundation to provide my skin with a denser coverage if necessary. 


In order to achieve a flawless complexion, I also took my trusty Natural Collection Pressed Powder to mattify my skin in case of any oily appearances. Then, to add a little bit of dimension and to enhance the bone structure of my face, I slipped in the Rimmel Natural Bronzer. This is entirely matte, something I find a very difficult quality to encounter in the world of shimmering bronzers, and is completely and utterly free of any giveaway orange undertones. 


To induce a pop of colour into my dull winter skin, I took the Topshop Cream Blush in 'Head Over Heels', which, quite ironically, I am head over heels in love with. It's an uber pretty peachy pink shade with coral undertones, which flatters almost every complexion imaginable and is perfect for creating a soft and subtle glow to the cheeks, which just screams good health. For highlight, I chose the Elf Baked Blush in 'Peachy Cheeky' which induces a rose gold highlight to the apples of your cheeks. Whilst this works beautifully as a subtle highlight to the cheeks, it is easily buildable and can also be used with a wet brush to produce a deepened blush-like finish. For less than a fiver, you really can't go wrong with this! 


Eyeshadow wise, I opted for two of my Maybelline Colour Tattoos (in 'On and On Bronze' and 'Eternal Pink') which work wonderfully as base shadows, but are easily buildable on their own. I could hardly forget my gorgeous Benefit Goodies A Go-Go eyeshadow quad, so of course that made it into the pile. This is kitted out with four pigmented, but surprisingly subtle, shades that can be used both day and night. This little palette is oh so versatile and I'll be using it endlessly until I hit pan! 


Also for the eyes, I chose my two favourite mascaras: the Revlon Lash Potion and the brand new Benefit Roller Lash, which, let me tell you now, is just as good as it's made out to be...if not better! The Lash Potion provides the lashes with a sustainable waterproof formula, as well as lengthening and separating them to produce a fuller looking lashline. Benefit's Roller Lash, on the other hand, although lacking the waterproof formula, hooks each individual lash and eases it into a magnificent curl, as well as lengthening and volumising on its way! For me, a combination of these two products gives my lashes luscious length, superb separation and coiffed curl that stays put for a lifetime. 


To add just a little extra touch of animation to the eyes, I took my Models Own Kohl Pencil. This has miniscule speckles of glitter in it which aid the reawakening and rejuvenating of the eyes. A jet black colour like this also helps to insert a little more depth into the waterline and can easily be built up if a more smokey and sultry look is desired. To help thicken the appearance of my upper lashline, I opted for the Elf Cream Eyeliner, which has a stand-out carbon black formula to really attract attention to your eyes. Admittedly, I was a little disppointed by this products a few weeks ago as it had appeared to have dried out, but somehow it has miraculously managed to rehydrate itself and consequently re-earnt its place as one of my stable pieces of eye makeup. 


I chose to take a little bit of a selection of lip colours with me on my travels as you can never quite predict just what shade you'll be wanting to wear and when you'll be yearning to wear it. My boldest option was the Topshop Lips in 'Wicked', which is a burgundy berry shade which can either be applied with a light hand to produce a gentle maroon, or lathered onto the lips for a more 'gothic' effect. I then chose the Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in 'Vintage Pink', which has subtle purple hues, and is surprisingly flattering on my pale skin tone. It is a reasonably deep colour, but can be applied lightly depending on the desired effect and is easily wearable both day and night. However, if I was wanting a subtler 'your lips but better' sort of shade, I also took the Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in the shade 'Socialite'. This is a pretty pinky nude lip colour which can be paired with pretty much any sort of makeup look, be it a subtle 'no makeup makeup' look for everyday wear or a sultry smokey eye on an evening out. 


I also managed to slip in some skincare products to keep my skin looking, and feeling, its best during the weekend away. As we were doing a lot of walking in the wind, I needed something to keep my makeup clinging to my skin, and so chose the Nivea Daily Essentials Express Hydration Primer to help prep my skin for the day, as well as keeping it nice and moisturised despite the harsh cold. To prevent my eyes from becoming dry and appearing weary, I took my Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Eye Cream to help keep the delicate eye area as hydrated as possible. For bedtime wear, I chose to take my trusty Nivea Daily Essentials Rich Regenerating Night Cream to help hydrate and rejuvenate my skin whilst I sleep- it honestly works wonders!



Brush-wise, I opted mainly for my favoured Real Techniques Core Collection brushes, which include their Contour Brush, Pointed Foundation Brush and Buffing Brush. I also took the Blusher Brush from the Vintage Cosmetics Company along with the Real Techniques Detailer and Fine Liner Brushes, as well as my OVS Eyeshadow Brush and the Limited Collection Eyeshadow Brush from M&S.

So that's it for today's post- I hope that you enjoyed it! Remember that I'll be daily blogging all of this week so stay tuned for more posts! 

Thank you for reading!

Lucy x 

Comments